Tuesday 3 March 2015

Does the game need "characters" or are we fine without them?

I've always seen quotes, usually in the tabloid press, that the game of football needs characters. That the likes of Mario Balotelli are "good for the game" as they keep up the interest level, create headlines and make the game more interesting. They say that the negative antics of Jose Mourinho where he attacks referees, other players, other managers and the authorities adds to the game because he is a character.

I completely disagree. I think that the phrase "bringing the game into disrepute" is wholly appropriate and I think that the lawmakers need to stamp down hard on all of these things.

I've been reading in my local newspaper this morning about Adam Johnson being arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15 year old girl. This man is a role model. With the outrageous riches he is paid, he owes the fans, his teammates, the club and the city a debt of representing them. I dread the conversation with my 8 and 6 year old boys when they ask why one of their favourite players is missing. When they ask why he's on Sky News instead of Sky Sports News.

I think that as a whole, football owes it's supporters. I don't expect all players to be angels all of the time but I don't think that it's too much to ask that they keep their heads down and work hard for the 15 to 20 years of the career, when they're paid huge sums of money to represent their club and fans.


No comments:

Post a Comment