Monday 9 March 2015

There's something seriously wrong at Man Utd

I'm just watching the end of the Manchester United and Arsenal FA Cup tie and there's something really wrong about this club at the moment. I'm not one of these people that knocks Man Utd at any opportunity but I think that it's time to look objectively about how far this club has dropped in less than 2 seasons.

No Champions League this year and I'm really not sure that there will be any next year. The only competition left open to them this season is the league, and there is fierce competition for a top four finish. Liverpool, Arsenal, Southampton and Tottenham are all fighting for the places behind Chelsea and Man City. I'd put Arsenal and Liverpool at the front of the queue based in current form.

So where is it going wrong?
Well, I think that throwing money at the problem hasn't worked. A manager that can review the strengths and weaknesses of the current squad and review what they need. It's not Radamel Falcao, it's not another number 10, it's not more wingers in a formation that doesn't use wingers. The squad STILL needs an overhaul but most of it is related to who they need to ship out before they look at who to being in.

I'd keep-

De Gea
Valencia (but not at fullback)
Rojo
Blind
Fellaini
Carrick
Rooney
Di Maria
Van Persie
Mata
Herrera
Young
Shaw

And of get rid of-

Jones
Smalling
Rafael
Anderson
Evans
Januzaj
Falcao


For me, this leaves then needing both fullbacks and a new centre back. Another striker will help, but one with more movement than Falcao - he just doesn't seem interested.

I'm shocked about how far the club has fallen since Sir Alex Ferguson left and there's still so far to go to get back anywhere near that level again.



No comments:

Post a Comment